Nothing gets me going like a good recipe and a new dish to bake. The planning, the excitement when the dish looks like its working out, the joy of seeing my family and friends gobble it up and eagerly looking forward to what I can bake next, everything about baking makes me happy (the messy kitchen counter top aside :p) Here's a peek into my kitchen, my cooking, my wonderland.


Tuesday 3 July 2012

Mini ombre cakes

Ombre on my mind
Some time ago, I caught the ombre craze. For those in the dark, (I was too, until lately), ombre is a french word that means shaded, a graduation of a shade, from light to dark. This translated into cake language, means a cake with layers of different shades of one colour. I was eager to experiment and the results didn't disappoint me. I chose pink for this experiment but you can choose any colour under the rainbow. The possibilities are endless. Here's how you can create your own ombre mini cake. 

Ingredients:

  • Recipe and ingredients of your favourite vanilla/yellowcake
  • Round cookie cutters in your desired size
  • Food colouring
  • Buttercream icing
Method: 
  • After you make your batter for the cake, divide it into three or four batches and add one drop of your desired food colouring to the first bowl, 2 drops to the second bowl and so on to get a graduated tint across the bowls.
  • Now bake your cake in different pans for each colour.
  • After the cake has cooled, take your cookie cutter and press into the cake, getting circles of each colour.
  • Stack the colours on top of each other, going from light to dark, sandwiching them with a filling of butter cream frosting. I also sandwiched a dark slice between two light ones, so you can experiment as you please. 
  • Pipe a swirl or a rose on the topmost layer and dig in.
So get set and bake it, it will be a crowd-pleaser for sure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment. We appreciate your feedback.